In 2018, the East African Health Platform (EAHP) held discussions with relevant stakeholders from the East African Community (EAC) region to identify the challenges and obstacles that Health Care Professionals (HCP) in East Africa face when trying to access Continuous Professional Development (CPD) courses. This included deliberations with the respective Ministries of Health and Education, private hospitals, Nurses Associations, and training institutions..
The main reasons were but are not limited to:
- Time management as most courses are time bound
- Access to affordable courses as most trainings involved travel costs
- Limited courses around medical and laboratory devices maintenance and operation
- Lack of access to practical trainings
- Difficulty in identifying credible and relevant courses that are CPD accredited
The above findings led EAHP to formulate a digitalized solution to tackle the obstacles identified.